I received a copy of Yellow Is My Color Star by Judy Horacek from Simon and Schuster for purposes of this post.
Written in rhyme, this book is a celebration of color.
Vibrant Colors are Pure Happiness
The illustrations, painted in a watercolor style, are vibrant and uplifting.
Somehow color really speaks to me and I love books that are bright and cheerful.
Guess the Favorite Color in This Story
Everyone has a favorite color (mine is red) and the main character in this story loves – you guessed it – yellow!
She starts off by telling us that in no uncertain terms.
Then she goes on to say that she likes all the other colors of the rainbow too.
But despite all of the wonderful qualities that the other shades display, yellow is still her stand out, her color star.
Involving The Reader
I love that the author engages young readers by asking them what color they prefer.
And as simple as the book may seem, it really is a great conversation starter between a young child and a parent or teacher.
Here are some questions that I would use when reading this book to a child:
- What is your favorite color?
- Why do you like it the most?
- What does it remind you of?
- What is your second choice?
- Are their colors that you don’t like?
- My favorite color is … what do you think of that color?
And so on.
The author, Judy Horacek is an accomplished writer and cartoonist.
You can find this children’s book – Yellow is My Color Star at Amazon.com.
Have You Read Yellow is My Color Star?
What did you think – or more importantly, what did your kids think of this story?
Other Children’s Book Reviews You Might Enjoy
- Sweet Dreams by Jewel celebrates a mother’s love for her child.
- Warning! Do Not Open This Book is a modern take on the classic The Monster at the End of This Book.
- Junkyard by Mike Austin
- Octopus's Garden by Ringo Starr