Wondering how to start a blog? It’s easier than you think.
I started blogging as a side hustle about 10 years ago – I was looking for a way to make a little money as a stay at home mom.
Fast forward. My four children are teens and young twenty somethings (how did that happen?) – and here I am still blogging.
Want Exclusive Blogging Tips?
Subscribe to our blogging newsletter using the form below. I no longer publish blogging articles here, I only send them via email.
Recommended Blogging Resources
If you don’t have your own website yet, use some of these resources to get started:
- Bluehost WordPress Hosting – get hosting for as little as $3.95 per month for your first year
- The Genesis Framework and StudioPress Themes for WordPress – SEO friendly and powerful WordPress themes with great customer support
- Restored316 Designs – beautiful feminine WordPress themes that run on Genesis
- PicMonkey Photo Editor – for making images to go with your blog posts (see PicMonkey Pricing options here)
Over the years, this blog has kept me current technologically. I have learned about online marketing and also how to run a small business.
The best part? I have been able to express my creativity on a daily basis while maintaining a flexible schedule.
When many women my age are struggling to re-enter the workforce with rusty and outdated skills, I have been able to keep my skills current and maintain my “marketability” all due to this blog.
I strongly believe that with blogging it is never too late to start and you are never too old to learn.
You don’t need a fancy webmaster and a picture perfect site either to start a blog. In fact, it does not have to be expensive at all.
In this post, I will show you how to quickly and easily set up a self-hosted WordPress blog using cheap hosting on Bluehost (plans start at only $3.95 per month).
If you are wondering if blogging is right for you – then take this quiz and review these Blogging for Beginners FAQ’s.
These are the steps you will take to start a blog of your own:
- Create a web hosting account at Bluehost.
- Choose the best Bluehost plan for you.
- Choose a domain name.
- Enter your payment info.
- Set up your Bluehost password.
- Log in to your account.
- Choose a free WordPress theme (for now).
- Launch your site.
- Write your first post.
1. Create a Web Hosting Account at Bluehost
2. Choose the Best Bluehost Plan for You
Bluehost offers a few levels of cheap web hosting for beginner bloggers.
The basic plan starts at $3.95 per month which is good enough if you are starting a new blog. But, if you can swing the extra 2 dollars per month the ChoicePlus plan is a better option because it includes SiteBackup Pro.
In the beginning you might not care too much about backups, but as you put more time into building a blog it will become more important to protect your work.
3. Choose a Domain Name
The next thing that you will be prompted to do is choose a domain name.
Here are some tips for picking a domain name that makes sense for your business.
Bluehost includes a free domain with your hosting plan, but if you already have an existing domain for your blog then you can use that one instead, no problem.
4. Enter Your Payment Information
This step is fairly straightforward – you just enter your payment information on Bluehost.
5. Set Up Your Bluehost Password
Now you create your Bluehost password. Make sure you use a strong and unique password.
A word of advice – be very organized when it comes to passwords. In blogging you will end up creating passwords for so many different things.
You can go old school and use a paper notebook or use a secure password organizer online – but whatever you do, keep it orderly from the start.
6. Log In To Your Bluehost Account
Once your password is all set up, log into your Bluehost account.
You are almost ready to start blogging!
7. Install a Free WordPress Theme (for now)
When you log in Bluehost will prompt you to install a free WordPress theme on your new blog. They will even offer up a selection of themes for you to use.
For now, go ahead and select one to get your blog up and running. But personally, I would not stick with a free theme for very long.
I like premium themes because they are SEO friendly, easily customizable, and are supported by their developers.
My go to WordPress theme is the Genesis Framework and either StudioPress child themes or child themes from Restored316 Designs which also run on Genesis. (Currently, I am using the Sprinkle Pro WordPress Theme from Restored316).
At this point I don’t want to overwhelm you with too much information about WordPress themes and plugins, etc. But you will see that it is fairly easy to change your blog theme especially on a new blog.
You might find these articles to be helpful when you are ready for them:
- WordPress Tutorials – a collection of our best articles on how to use WordPress
- Why Genesis for WordPress is a good choice for your blog
8. Launch Your Site
Finally, it’s time to launch your site!
9. Write Your First Blog Post
It’s time to get writing.
Guess what? Setting up your new WordPress blog on Bluehost was the easy part.
Now comes the hard work.
Learning how to start a blog goes way beyond the nuts and bolts.
Creating good content for your blog is what will draw traffic to your site.
Here are some articles that will help you get your new blog off the ground:
- How to choose a blog topic or what is better known as a blogging niche.
- What Is Email Marketing and why is it important for bloggers?
- 8 FREE Blogging Resources That You Can Download Right Now!
- Blogging Tools That I Use
- What is blogging all about? Get an understanding of how blogging for money works.
What is Your Biggest Blogging Challenge?
No matter where you are with blogging – it definitely has it’s challenges.
Let me know what the hardest part about blogging is for you in the comments below.