Use this simple method to shred brussels sprouts similar to the sliced style you find in the grocery store.
Brussel sprouts are one of those good for you foods that we should all be eating more of.
They are rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium, folate, iron, fiber and are believed to have cancer-fighting properties.
Whether that is true or not – we all know that more vegetables in the diet is good. (Read more about them here on Wikipedia)
What are Brussels Sprouts?
Essentially brussel sprouts are mini cabbages.
Traditionally they are cooked either steamed, boiled, or broiled.
The problem is that this vegetable can get a bit dry.
If you are not a cabbage or brussels sprouts lover – then convincing yourself to eat them can be a chore.
Shredding Makes Brussels Sprouts Taste Better
A more shall we say “modern” way of making this vegetable a bit more palatable is to shred them before cooking.
This gives it the consistency of a slaw or salad.
Mixed with the right flavorings, brussels sprouts can actually morph into a delicious side dish.
You can even get prepackaged shredded brussels sprouts in the produce section of the supermarket.
If you are strapped for time, this is the way to go.
But if you prefer something closer to fresh, buy yourself a large stalk with the sprouts still attached and follow these instructions for shredding brussels sprouts yourself.
Shred Your Own Brussels Sprouts
- Cut the sprouts off the stalk using a small sharp knife. Slice as close to the base as possible so the sprout does not fall apart. Rinse the sprouts in a colander.
- Take an individual brussels sprout and cut in half lengthwise.
- Place the halves cut side down on a cutting board.
- Remove the hard, woody, base from both halves with a horizontal cut. (You can use a garbage bowl to make clean up a little easier.)
- Now, cut each half several times vertically from top to base. The layers should separate on theirs own but you may need to help separate some of the slices.
- Collect all of the shreds in a large bowl and use in your favorite brussels sprouts recipe.
Ideas For Shredded Brussels Sprouts Recipes
One way to cook shredded brussels sprouts is to toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast in the oven or stir fry on the stove.
I made this recipe for Roasted Shredded Brussels Sprouts with toasted almonds and parmesan that I found at one of my favorite recipe sites – Kalyn's Kitchen.
For the most part I followed the recipe exactly except I substituted chopped whole almonds for the almond slivers.
If you don't have the time for shredding brussels sprouts – you can try this Parmesan Encrusted Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe which makes a great side dish too.