This parmesan encrusted roasted brussels sprouts recipe is sure to please even the pickiest vegetable eaters.
It not only makes a great side dish on your Holiday table – but is perfect year round. And why not get all that amazing nutrition whenever you can, right?
Preparation is pretty simple. The baking process has a couple steps but nothing too time consuming.
Prepare the Brussels Sprouts
The first step is to wash, trim, and halve the brussels sprouts. (Preheat the oven while you are doing this.)
I usually cut a little bit off the stem end – because they are usually kind of an unappetizing grayish color. Then I cut them in half vertically from the top through the stem end.
A few of the outer leaves will fall off as you do this. You can keep these in with the brussels sprouts because they get nice and crispy during the roasting process, or you can toss them if you want a more uniform look to your roasted brussels sprouts recipe.
Place these in a nice big mixing bowl.
Measure the Brussels Sprouts
Measure out four cups of the brussels sprouts halves.
It is tempting to skip this step and just use what you’ve got, but then your seasonings won’t be proportionate.
You can certainly use more or less brussels sprouts halves in this recipe but you should know how much you have so that you can adjust the rest of the ingredients accordingly.
The Olive Oil Mixture
In a small bowl mix together olive oil, salt, and pepper and stir it up.
Pour this olive oil mixture over the brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
Then place the coated brussels sprouts in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet, cut side down.
Bake in your preheated 400ºF oven for about 10 minutes. (make sure you set a kitchen timer)
The Parmesan Cheese Mixture
While the brussels sprouts are in the oven, you can move onto the next step in this roasted brussels sprouts recipe.
In another small bowl, mix about a quarter cup of finely grated parmesan cheese with about a quarter cup of italian style Panko breadcrumbs.
When your first 10 minutes of baking are up, remove the brussels sprouts from the oven. The cut side should just be beginning to brown and the brussels sprouts should be a bright green color. See below.
Dump these partially roasted brussels sprouts back into the big mixing bowl, pour the parmesan mixture over top, and toss to coat all of the brussels sprouts.
Baking Phase 2
Return the parmesan encrusted brussels sprouts back to the baking sheet. You will have some extra parmesan mixture sitting in the bottom of the mixing bowl and that’s ok. You can either discard this or toss it over top the brussels sprouts in the baking pan.
Put the brussels sprouts back in the oven and roast for about 20 more minutes.
Make sure to stir them at about the 10 minute mark so they don’t stick, and also so they roast evenly.
That’s all there is to this roasted brussels sprouts recipe.
Remove them from the oven, serve warm, and enjoy.
Share Your Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Do you have a secret ingredient that makes your roasted brussels sprouts recipe irresistible? Tell us about it in the comments below.
Print This RecipePrint
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Recipe – Parmesan Encrusted
Even the kids will love this parmesan encrusted roasted brussels sprouts recipe.
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Side Dishes
- 4 cups brussels sprouts, halved and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs, italian style
- Preheat oven to 400o F.
- Trim and halve the brussels sprouts.
- Measure out 4 cups of brussels sprouts halves into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- In another small bowl, mix the parmesan cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Pour the olive oil mixture over top of the brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
- Spread coated brussels sprouts in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet, cut side down.
- Roast in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove brussels sprouts from oven and return them to the mixing bowl.
- Pour the cheese and breadcrumb mixture over the warm brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
- Place the breaded brussels sprouts back on the baking sheet. It is not necessary to place them cut side down.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 more minutes – stirring at around the 10 minute mark so they don’t stick and so they roast evenly. 12. Remove from oven, serve warm, and enjoy.