Last week I made a recipe that called for toasted coconut for my son's graduation.
I had never made toasted coconut before (believe it or not) and actually never gave it much thought.
The fact is – it is really, super easy to make.
I never realized the many ways that I could use toasted coconut:
- in recipes (obviously)
- as a garnish (even for recipes that don't call for toasted coconut)
- as a decorative plate garnish
Given how easy it is to whip up a batch, I now know that I can impress lots of people with little effort.
How To Toast Coconut
If you are making a recipe, then you will use the quantity of coconut that the recipe requires. But if you are making toasted coconut on it's own, this is how you do it.
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
FREE QUICK START GUIDE TO GETTING ORGANIZED
Sign up for our newsletter and go from chaos to control with our FREE Quick Start Guide to Getting Organized - 5 day email series.
Start with a 7 oz. bag of sweetened coconut flakes. You will find this in the baking aisle at your grocery store.
Spread the coconut flakes in a thin layer on a large baking sheet. (In these photos my baking sheets bear the scars of many years of good food – so, no, they are not dirty. Just well loved.)
Put the coconut in the oven.
How Long Do You Toast Coconut?
After about 2 or 3 minutes, stir it up for even baking. Now toast coconut in oven for an additional 2 minutes or so.
Remove from the oven when golden brown at about 5 minutes total baking time and let cool on baking sheet.
Use in your favorite recipes or as garnish. Store unused portion in an airtight container.
IMPORTANT: Pay Close Attention While Baking
The important thing is DO NOT OVER BAKE.
Watch the oven very closely because toasted coconut can go from done to burnt in the blink of an eye.
This is one of those recipes where you should not multi-task.
I actually asked Siri on my Apple Watch to set a timer for 2 minutes.
Thinking that “she” had everything under control, I went about other business.
Wouldn't you know that while I was toasting the coconut my Apple Watch decided to wig out and freeze.
So, that two minutes started to feel really long. Thankfully, I caught it in time. :-/
Have You Made Toasted Coconut?
What are some of your favorite recipes that call for toasted coconut?
Share in the comments below.
Print This Recipe
- 1 package 7 oz. bag sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350o F.
- Spread bag of coconut flakes evenly in a thin layer on a large, ungreased baking sheet.
- Put the coconut in the oven.
- After about 2 or 3 minutes, stir the toasted coconut up for even baking.
- Return to oven for about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from oven when golden brown at about 5 minutes total baking time and cool completely on baking sheet.
- Use in your favorite recipes or as a garnish. Store unused portion in an airtight container.
More Dessert Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Toasted Coconut Recipe
- Vanilla Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- Decadent Apricot Bars With Coconut Crumble Topping
- Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles – A Healthy Summer Treat
- Soynut Butter Cookie Recipe
Don't forget your FREE Quick Start Guide to Getting Organized!
Sign up for our newsletter and go from chaos to control with our FREE Quick Start Guide to Getting Organized.